Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Red Velvet Cupcakes

I made these Red Velvet cupcakes for our Ladies' Christmas Party this year.  


I used a recipe that's been in our family for years.  It was always a favorite for birthday cakes when my siblings and I were growing up.  Back then, we called it Red Astoria Cake.


Now, it has become a Christmas tradition.


Here's the recipe:

Red Velvet (Astoria) Cake

½ c butter
2 eggs
1 ½ c granulated sugar
2 oz. red food color
2 T cocoa (I use Hershey’s Special Dark)
1 t vanilla
1 T vinegar
1 t baking soda
1 c buttermilk
2 ¼ c cake flour
¼ t baking powder
¾ t salt


Directions:
Cream well butter and sugar.  Add eggs.  Beat well.  Add vanilla.  In a small bowl, mix together food color and cocoa; add to creamed mixture.  In a separate bowl, mix together flour, salt and baking powder. Add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.  In a small cup or bowl, stir together baking soda and vinegar.  Immediately stir by hand into batter.  Pour batter into 2 greased 8” pans or fill cupcake baking cups 2/3 full.  For cake, bake at 350 for approximately 30 minutes.  Cupcakes are done when a toothpick inserted come out clean.

Notes:
When I use the dark cocoa, I usually add an extra tablespoon or so of sugar.
Be careful not to over bake!
I usually use a cream cheese frosting since the cooked frosting that actually goes with this recipe gives me fits!!  I'll post them both at a later time and link back up with this recipe.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment