Friday, December 28, 2012

Canning Jar Oil Lamps

I bought this lamp recently and have enjoyed it so much!  It burns paraffin oil and had a fiberglass wick, which never burns up, so it never needs to be replaced.  


I decided to make a few as gifts.  Here's my version:

 

I like the shape of the jar on the one I purchased better, but this was all I could find locally at this time of year.  I spray painted the ring on mine so it would match better.  I used Rust-oleum Textured Radiant Brass.  It matched pretty close.  For the lid, I bought a vase cap, which is used in the construction of lamps or light fixtures.  I had a prettier, vented one, but I gave that lamp away before taking pictures of it.


I prefer the lid on the lamp I purchased.  The fluted design is beautiful!


I purchased the wick, glass wick holder and vase cap online and bought the jars at Wal Mart.  I used Holiday Picks that I picked up at Michael's for 60% off to fill the jar, along with cinnamon sticks and bay leaves, then added the oil.  A deeper vase cap than the one shown here works better.  The wick holder has trouble staying straight because it's sticking down into the pine cones and pine needles.  If I do any more of these, I'll hunt for a taller one.  Over all, this was a simple gift to make and everyone loved them!


UPDATE:
After doing some research, I found that you can add a piece of bamboo in the center of the jar for the wick to hang down into.  This will prevent the glass wick holder from hitting the filler.  I'll try this next time I make these.

5 comments:

  1. I can't find the fluted lamp lid. Where did you get yours at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't find a fluted vase cap either. I purchased the lamp with the fluted lid. The other I purchased online from a lamp parts company. I really like the ones that had the diamond shaped vents, but I gave those away before taking pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i found this website but im not sure if these can be used but they are more decorative and economical.... http://www.anythinginstainedglass.com/lamps/lampvasecaps.html

    I love them what a great gift.! phillip

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found the fluted vase caps. Silver dollar city has a crafter there and she sells these exact same ones.

    ReplyDelete