Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Red & White Christmas Ornament Cookies & Brown Sugar Spice Cookie Recipe

Here are more ornament cookies I made as gifts for a few friends.  







For these, I used the sugar cookie recipe I posted in my last post and a Brown Sugar Roll Out  recipe I found at The Sweet Adventures of Sugarbelle.  It has become a family favorite, especially at Christmas-time!

Here's the recipe:


Brown Sugar Roll-Out Cookies

Ingredients
3/4 c. unsalted butter
1 1/2 c. dark brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tbsp. milk, half and half, or orange juice ( I use half and half or whipping cream)
2 tsp. extract (I usually use vanilla}
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. cinnamon (spices optional, but I always add them!)
1 tsp. nutmeg
dash ground cloves

Cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs, extract, and other liquid. Mix until fluffy. Sift together dry ingredients.  Add to creamed mixture a cupful or so at a time until all of the dry mixture is incorporated. The dough should be soft but not sticky. If it’s sticky, add flour little by little until it's no longer sticky.   Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes.  Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface to 1/4 inch thick and cut into shapes (once again, I make mine a little thicker).  Place on an ungreased cookie sheet 1 1/2" apart.  (I do things a little bit different here.  After cutting out my cookies and placing on a cookie sheet, I put the cookie sheet in the freezer for a few minutes to firm the dough up before baking).  Bake 375 for 8-10 minutes or until the tops are no longer shiny.  (I bake mine at 350).  I also leave the cookies on the cookie sheet for a few minutes before removing them to a cooling rack.  Decorate as desired.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment