Friday, May 27, 2011

We Weep For You, Joplin

It's been four days since the devastating tornado smashed it's way through the heart of our town, leaving in it's wake death, destruction and broken lives and hearts. I feel that if I start crying, I will never stop. I think I've been in a daze since Sunday night.

We weren't directly impacted by the tornado. It missed where we live by about four miles. But you can't drive through town and not be touched.

The night it happened, my husband and son stayed out until about 2:00 am, came in and slept for a few hours, then headed back out by 6:00 am. We all wanted to do whatever we could, anything we could, to help those who had lost everything.

I was on facebook tonight and it breaks my heart a little more each time I read about another child, unidentified and alone, in a hospital in a neighboring town, or a story about another hero who sacrificed their life to save others. The hardest part of all is the missing.

Now there's a facebook page showing pictures of those who died. I just want to sit there and cry over each picture.

It's called grief, and we're all going through it right now.

Tomorrow I'll deliver some of my Smiley Face cookies to the doctors and nurses who are working tirelessly at a makeshift hospital since there's was destroyed. Just a little something else I can do.

Please keep Joplin in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment