Saturday, January 29, 2011

First Attempt At Glazing!

The DIY Show Off

I've linked this post to the DIY Project Parade!


Creations by Kara



I have several pieces of furniture that I would love to paint and glaze. But, since I have absolutely no experience with glazing, (and not that much with painting, for that matter!) I've been a bit hesitant to try. Well, make that very hesitant!

I love the looks of this painted and glazed end table that I found over at All Things Thrifty.




And this yellow night stand.




All done with spray paint and glaze!

It sounds so easy, but I know me and how I can take something easy and turn it into a disaster!

So I wanted to start out with something small first. I found this nifty little organizer at the Goodwill the other day.

When I saw the detail, I knew it would become my guinea pig!








So I went to Wal Mart and bought some Krylon Ruddy Brown primer and Banner Red spray paint. Then I stopped at Lowe's and picked up some black-tinted glaze.




I carefully followed any directions I could find about glazing on the blogs I follow, and this is how it went:

Sprayed with primer:




Painted red:




Glazed:





More glazing:








And the finished product!




So what do you think? Does it look okay? I think maybe I left too much glaze in the grooves. Then I look at it again and like it!

What do you think? Any tips or advice would be much appreciated!!

2 comments:

  1. It is gorgeous! I wish I could nice stuff like that at my Goodwill. Beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I just got into spray painting and glazing last year. My FB has a before and after album of some of the things I've done. I love taking something ugly and making it over again.

    ReplyDelete